A lot of law firm advertising is centered around “have a case…call us” (see below). We do that too. However, we are selective in the cases we take. Being selective is the only way to insure that when we take a case that we can properly handle it. This benefits us and more importantly our clients.
Here are 8 reasons we won’t take your case:
1. Outside our areas of practice. Law is complicated and getting more complicated. It is impossible for any lawyer to be competent in more than a few areas of law. For example, if you come to us with a workers compensation case, we will refer it to a competent workers compensation attorney.
2. No claim. We evaluate our cases carefully. Every case we select has merit. We are happy to discuss all sorts of claims. In the very least, you will leave with an opinion as to whether or not you have a claim.
3. Our caseload. The fastest way to sink a ship is to put too much stuff on it. The same hold true with law practice. I can’t appear for you in court on Monday if I’m preparing to try someone else’s case on Tuesday. Each case is very important to us and warrants our undivided attention. If we can’t take your case we will refer you to someone who can.
4. Conflict. We cannot sue folks who we represent or who we have represented. The conflict check is the very first thing we do. If we have a conflict, you will know this immediately and be referred to someone who does not have the conflict.
5. Not A Match. Few relationships are as important as that of attorney-client. If you feel your attorney is not a match you should get a new one. Similarly, if we feel a client is not a match we will decline representation. Reasons clients may not be a match stem from a differences of opinion as to strategy or expectations. For example, we will not take any family case where the objective of the client is to “destroy” their spouse.
6. Economics of the case. We will decline representation where it makes no economic sense for the client. If the legal costs are likely to exceed any gain we will tell you this. We have helped numerous folks file small claims documents by themselves.
7. Geography. It often makes no sense for our firm to do a real estate closing in a place like Danielson. It is simply too far for both us and the parties involved. We are happy to tell you this and suggest local counsel.
8. We Feel You Would Be Better Served By Someone Else. This is sort of a blend of reasons 1 and 5 but it’s a different beast. We represent lots of injured folks. However, we know some lawyers who through experience may be better suited to handle your specific kind of claim. For example, we have referred out major pharmaceutical cases to national firms.
We apply these criteria to each of our cases. So you know, that if we accept your case, we are prepared to properly prosecute it.
CONTACT US TO DISCUSS YOUR CASE. (860) 471-8333 or use the form below.
WE’RE HAPPY TO LISTEN TO YOUR STORY. IF WE CAN’T HANLDE IT, WE WILL PUT YOU IN THE HANDS OF SOMEONE WHO CAN. THAT’S OUR COMMITMENT.